I studied stone-carving at Centro d’Arte Verrocchio (Casole d’Elsa), Arco Arte (Carrara) and West Dean College. I have also studied bronze casting, but currently my main medium is stone.
Working in stone, the sculptor is inevitably aware of the long tradition of using this material dating from prehistoric times, but particularly since the Egyptian and classical eras. While there is no conscious imitation of historic styles, the calm persistence of stone informs my sculptures.
I work in both figurative and abstract idioms, the abstract often drawing on organic elements.
A great attraction of stone is the variety of colour and texture, allowing a great range of expression. Among other things, a sculpture is a device for capturing light and shadow. Because of this I pay a deal of attention to line and surface, often working to a high finish.
- Collection of work from Member’s Exhibition 2019
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2019
- Touching the Earth
- AGM – 4 February 2019
- The Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2019
- A warm welcome to our New Members 2019!
- Scrapbook of Walter Tyrwhitt, OAS founder and watercolourist
- Art at the theatre – OAS exhibits at Oxford Playhouse
- OAS Open Exhibition 2018
- The winner of the Young Artist Competition is…
- 2nd and 3rd prizes in The Young Artist Competition
- Third Annual Young Artist Competition
- Harriet Eagle: Artwork Acceptance at Mall Galleries
- Congratulations Lucy on your Mall Gallery acceptance.
- Benjamin Hope NEAC
- Congratulations Kate Hipkiss
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2018
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2017
- Lucy Stopford, OAS Chair – work selected for BP Portrait Awards
- OAS says farewell to outgoing Chairman Peter Farley
- OAS Members exhibition 2017
- OAS Welcomes new members
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2016
- Jericho Artweeks Lecture 2016
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2016 – Woodstock
- Johannes von Stumm, OAS President, in Japan and China
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2015
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2015
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2014
- Radley Members’ Exhibition: photos and review
- OAS: ‘A Century of Art in Oxford’
- Society now on Twitter – sign up and get involved