I studied stone-carving at Centro d’Arte Verrocchio (Casole d’Elsa), Arco Arte (Carrara) and West Dean College. I have also studied bronze casting, but currently my main medium is stone.
Working in stone, the sculptor is inevitably aware of the long tradition of using this material dating from prehistoric times, but particularly since the Egyptian and classical eras. While there is no conscious imitation of historic styles, the calm persistence of stone informs my sculptures.
I work in both figurative and abstract idioms, the abstract often drawing on organic elements.
A great attraction of stone is the variety of colour and texture, allowing a great range of expression. Among other things, a sculpture is a device for capturing light and shadow. Because of this I pay a deal of attention to line and surface, often working to a high finish.
- Oxford Art Society Young Artist Competition 2017
- Benjamin Hope, OAS – London Exhibition
- John Somerscales, OAS – Oxford Exhibition
- Oxfordshire Artweeks – 6th to 29th May 2017
- Martin Smith, OAS – West Ox Arts exhibition
- Anthony Hinchliffe, OAS – Solo exhibition
- OAS says farewell to outgoing Chairman Peter Farley
- OAS Members exhibition 2017
- Rahima Kenner, OAS – Printmaking class
- OAS Welcomes new members
- OAS at St Hugh’s College Festival of Anniversaries
- Message from your Chairman
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2016
- Barbara Gorayska OAS – paintings on permanent display in Oxford
- Jericho Artweeks Lecture 2016
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2016 – Woodstock
- OAS welcomes new members
- Johannes von Stumm, OAS President, in Japan and China
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2015
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2015
Open Exhibition, Autumn 2017