I studied stone-carving at Centro d’Arte Verrocchio (Casole d’Elsa), Arco Arte (Carrara) and West Dean College. I have also studied bronze casting, but currently my main medium is stone.
Working in stone, the sculptor is inevitably aware of the long tradition of using this material dating from prehistoric times, but particularly since the Egyptian and classical eras. While there is no conscious imitation of historic styles, the calm persistence of stone informs my sculptures.
I work in both figurative and abstract idioms, the abstract often drawing on organic elements.
A great attraction of stone is the variety of colour and texture, allowing a great range of expression. Among other things, a sculpture is a device for capturing light and shadow. Because of this I pay a deal of attention to line and surface, often working to a high finish.
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2019
- AGM – 4 February 2019
- Interview with portrait painter Jenny Fay
- The Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2019
- A warm welcome to our New Members 2019!
- Mark Fennell’s portrait is shortlisted.
- Rachel Ducker’s sculpture installation at Stansted.
- Interview with Jane Hope
- Scrapbook of Walter Tyrwhitt, OAS founder and watercolourist
- ‘Seurat’s Public’ – lecture at the Ashmolean
- Extended! Oxford Art Society Exhibition 29 September – 4 November 2018
- Art at the theatre – OAS exhibits at Oxford Playhouse
- OAS Open Exhibition 2018
- The winner of the Young Artist Competition is…
- 2nd and 3rd prizes in The Young Artist Competition
- See exhibitor’s and members’ work on Instagram
- Third Annual Young Artist Competition
- Submission Forms for Oxford Art Society Exhibition
- Harriet Eagle: Artwork Acceptance at Mall Galleries
- Harriet Eagle – Exhibition at Woodstock
- Congratulations Lucy on your Mall Gallery acceptance.
- Jackie Conway Exhibition September – November 2018
- Benjamin Hope NEAC
- Congratulations Kate Hipkiss
- Jim Robinson – Photographer in Residence
- Grant Waters – Workplace Portraits at The Cornerstone Didcot
- Art Today – What touches your Soul? A lecture by Johannes von Stumm
- A new book by Beatrice Hoffman
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2018
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2017
- Lucy Stopford, OAS Chair – work selected for BP Portrait Awards
- OAS says farewell to outgoing Chairman Peter Farley
- OAS Members exhibition 2017
- OAS Welcomes new members
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2016
- Jericho Artweeks Lecture 2016
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2016 – Woodstock
- Johannes von Stumm, OAS President, in Japan and China
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2015
- Oxford Art Society Members Exhibition 2015
- Oxford Art Society Open Exhibition 2014
- Radley Members’ Exhibition: photos and review
- OAS: ‘A Century of Art in Oxford’
- Society now on Twitter – sign up and get involved