The Oxford Art Society was formed in 1891 at the instigation of Walter Tyrwhitt who wished to encourage Art in the City and in the University. The first president was to be Hubert von Herkomer, RA, who had succeeded John Ruskin as the Slade Professor of Fine Art in Oxford.
The Society has held an annual exhibition each year except for six years during World War II. Since 1972 the Society has held two exhibitions – a Member’s Exhibition and an Annual Open Exhibition. It is from the Open Exhibition that new members are invited to join the Society.
We hold our AGM in March, usually in conjunction with an OASA lecture.
The Open Exhibition 2020 will take place physically or if necessary as a virtual exhibition. Oxford Art Society still has the same motivation as Walter Tyrwhitt – ‘to encourage art in the city’